Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Week 36 Update

Yep, I’m still pregnant! The end is a bit slow and long.

Owen is still putting on the pounds — about an ounce a day. He now weighs almost 6 pounds and is a little less than 19 inches long. At the end of this week, Owen will be considered full-term. (Babies between 37 and 42 weeks are considered full-term; a baby born before 37 weeks is pre-term and after 42 is post-term.) Most likely he's in a head-down position by now, which is optimal for a smooth delivery, but if he isn't in the next week, my doctor may try to coax him into a head-down position manually, by manipulating him from the outside of the belly.

I have no idea what position he is in, really. Several weeks ago the doctor said she thought he was head-down. I still can’t really tell what any of the bumps I can see through my skin are. No clear foot outline or anything like that.

We are halfway done with birthing class at this point. It has been hard on both of us to sit through a two-hour class right after work, but I think it will be worth it in the end. I can’t speak for Travis, but I’ve learned some things I didn’t already know. And it is good to feel like I have some sort of idea of what I am about to go through. Although I am sure nothing can properly prepare me for the true experience (or pain)!

We now officially have everything we need for Owen. My goal was to get this all done by 37 weeks in case he came a bit early. And we made it! We even got the rocking chair delivered early this week. The nursery as you’ve all seen it is about to change though. Things need to be re-arranged to make room for the large (but very comfy) chair!

I have Owen’s things picked out for the hospital. We bought a romper for him to wear home and are also bringing one that my mom bought him. Now I just need to pack my bag for the hospital. I’m dragging my feet a little bit because many of the things I want to pack … I still want to keep using!

… 28 days to go now.